Program Director position
The George Washington Carver Food Enterprise Center (GWCFEC) is a project of the George Washington Carver Agriculture Research Center (GWCARC), a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. The GWCFEC is a shared-use commercial kitchen and food business entrepreneur incubator located in The Carver Center in Culpeper County. Our goal is to provide services to the five-county region of Culpeper, Fauquier, Madison, Orange, and Rappahannock counties in three categories: job training, food security, and economic development.
The Program Director of the GWCFEC will oversee day-to-day operation of the shared-use commercial kitchen while supporting the development and growth of services at the GWCFEC. This role is multifaceted – the Program Director will directly support emerging food businesses, food security initiatives, and job training programs while also working with the GWCARC Board to grow the Food Enterprise Center. GWCARC intersects with a broad spectrum of audiences and the Program Director will be responsible for stewarding relationships with GWCARC Board Members, Carver Food Security Working Group Members, GWCFEC Stakeholders, county officials, economic development partners, and various organizations within the region. This role initially will oversee kitchen development and work with the GWCFEC team to develop policy and procedures for and onboarding process for businesses and team members. This position will provide hands-on support and guidance to an eventual community of 40+ diverse food companies and organizations, including food trucks, caterers, bakers, and farmers as they begin operating in our facility.
- Manage all day-to-day operations, bookings, and billings of the GWCFEC kitchen space, equipment and storage space using a web-based application. Ensure the calendar displays accurate availability and bookings and is up-to-date.
- Ensure cleanliness and organization of storage areas
- Ensure shared-kitchen users adhere to food code and food safety practices while in production - Provide technical support in shared kitchen as necessary as well as support and advice on processes and equipment usage
- Provide regular communications with local, state, and federal regulatory agencies about the status of shared kitchen activities and manage / coordinate all required inspections
- Assist with marketing and new kitchen member recruitment. Assist potential members in navigating appropriate business licenses, food safety requirements, and in communicating with their Health or Agriculture inspectors.
- Orient / onboard new shared-use kitchen members on standard operating procedures, equipment usage, cleaning protocols, member expectations, etc.
- Assist with job training programs, food security initiatives, and events held at the GWCFEC Ideal Experience and Abilities
- 5+ years of professional food industry experience with a record of excellent performance
- Experience in recipe development, scaling, and costing - ServSafe manager certificate required
- Strong understanding of food safety and regulatory environment for commercial kitchens and food manufacturers - Demonstrated leadership, organization, and project planning skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong sense of ownership and accountability for work - Resourcefulness to troubleshoot challenges of a busy shared space with multiple stakeholders
- Personal commitment to the GWCARC’s mission
- Comfortable playing both a hands-on role in the kitchen and an administrative role
- Familiarity with computer programs
This is a grant-funded position with paid holidays and time off. Salary range is $60,000 - $75,000 and is commensurate with experience This position requires on-site work and involves occasional evening and weekend hours for special events.
GWCARC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
Please send a resume and cover letter to Lenah Nguyen (firstname.lastname@example.org) by May 15.
Culpeper Chamber of Commerce
629 Sperryville Pike
Culpeper, VA 22701